Thursday 5 May 2011

Beauty Tools: Shu Uemura VS Shiseido Eyelash Curler

For many years, I never bothered with curling my eyelashes. 

Try as I might, I could never get any eyelash curler to actually get to my small, non-deep set eyes and short stumpy lashes. Occasionally, I'd decide to curl my eyelashes, and would end up just kicking the tips up - not a good look! 
I was also convinced that it wouldn't make a difference anyway because my lashes were so SHORT!

After reading so many rave reviews about the Shu Uemura curler being THE curler for Asian (and any other) eyes, I eventually caved in to the hype surrounding it and bought it, brimming with hope!

However, though the Shu curler felt really comfortable in my hand, on me the decreased curve was still not enough. I managed to get a few more lashed to curl but that was it.
Big Sigh.


So I relegated my Shu curler to the bottom of my drawer and forgot about it. I should mention though that It worked beautifully on my sister, who is blessed with larger eyes and longer eyelashes, giving her the perfect curl which lasted a whole night

Then I heard about the Shiseido eyelash curler! Made by another Japanese company, and apparently now with an even flatter curve. The reviews I'd read were mixed - many thought the Shu Uemura curler was better so at first I was hesitant. 

However, my downward pointing lashes give me the dreaded two lash line effect with falsies - my lashes naturally point slightly downwards, and this with the curled up falsies are not a good look! 

I decided to take the plunge again. 


The Shiseido Eyelash Curler
I was prepared for yet another disappointment but:  IT IS THE BEST CURLER EVER!!!

Though lesser known than the Shu curler (and perhaps something that hasn't quite reached 'Cult Beauty Status', I find that it is actually much better at getting all the way to the base of my lashes and gently, gently curling every. single. lash. 

Observe:
Left: Shu Uemura, Right: Shiseido

You can clearly see that the Shiseido eyelash curler is much less curved, which is excellent for fitting into the socket of shallower-set asian eyes (like mine!)


Top: Shiseido, Bottom: Shu Uemura
Also, the top curve of the Shiseido curler (as seen in the above pictures) seems to sit just a teeny bit more forward compared to the Shu Uemura curler (which sits directly on top of the bottom curve) - could this be helping my short stumpy lashes curl and separate?! It WORKS.

VERDICT: While the Shu Uemura eyelash curler works well for most eyes, for shallow-set Asian eyes (or if you want to get as close as possible to your lash line) the Shiseido curler takes the cake! I'm in love. 

Both come with a replacement sillicone pad thingy and are really gentle on the lashes (and I haven't pinched myself once with the Shiseido curler!)

Shu Uemura Curler (AUD $28) www.shuuemura.com
- available from Shu Uemura counters (David Jones Bourke St)
Shiseido Curler (AUD $25) www.au.shiseido.com
- available at any Shiseido counter

Bonus: Shu Uemura doesn't sell the replacement sillicone pads but the Shiseido counter assures me I will be able to buy some from them - though they didn't have any in stock at the time and I can't see it on the website.

PS. Apologies for the grainy-ness and yellow cast of the photos - I am learning to take better photos!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi sweetie! :)

    Can you try do the shiseido eyelash curler pad fit to shu uemura's eyelash curlers? :)))

    And how well it fits?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comparison of the 2 lash curlers. My daughter is asian & it didn't even occur to me that she would need a different style lash curler until we tried one from the drugstore that was clearly NOT designed for shallow set eyes. It came no where near to touching her lashes.

    Because of your blog, I searched locally for Shieseido -- Macy's ($19US). I still think the curve could be a little more "flat", but I think it will work with practice. She ended up crimping the ends of her lashes. She's still young & inexperienced with makeup since we only use it for performances...but she wants her lashes to curl up & not down.

    ReplyDelete