Sunday 15 May 2011

Benefit Box o' Goodies

My Benefit order has arrived, after a month of waiting!!

It was with much excitement that I discovered the Benefit website finally shipped to Australia! I have long been complaining of the enormous mark-ups we have on cosmetics here in Australia.

I have always been a fan of the Benefit packaging – I think their kitschy boudoir chic is one of the cleverest marketing campaigns out there.

On the US site, their prices online are similar to many supermarket brands here – So I decided to buy a bunch of things as a 'test-buy' to see how long they'd take to arrive (longer than I thought, one whole month) and also to try out some things from Benefit I'd always wanted to try but couldn't justify the Aussie prices.

Here they are finally in all their glory!
All wrapped up - look I got some free samples too!
And unwrapped!
I got Hoola, Dallas and Coralista – Benefit’s blushers/bronzers whimsically called Box O' Powder, which I'd always wanted to try but wasn't sure if they were worth AUD $51. (I got them for USD $28, a bargain!)

Also the big beautiful eyes Palette (USD $32, but here AUD $59!), which I got purely to try out their boi-ing concealer. 

First Impressions:

Left to Right: Dallas, Coralista and Hoola
Dallas: Looks muddy in the box, but once on my cheeks springs to life as a rosy tan (makes me look like I have both blush and bronzer on and my cheeks actually look quite sculpted!)

Coralista: A pinky peach blush, beautiful. Quite shiny though so has to be used sparingly to prevent a sheen. 

Hoola: A nice, natural looking yellow brown bronzer with no shimmer (one of the few with no shimmer!) - looks very very natural on my NC25-30 asian skin

The powders are very finely milled and have a good amount of pigment, though not as highly pigmented as the NARS blushes. The brushes that came with them are cute but a bit small, I prefer my proper blush brush, but these would be fine for touch-ups!
All about eyes, complete with instructions!
Boi-ing appears to be a good match, and the eyeshadow colours are nice basic colours that are very usable. I especially like the little brushes that come with them, so cute and they also work quite well.

Proper reviews and swatches to follow after I’ve used them for a bit!

Given the amount I've purchased - and I definitely would not have purchased this many in one go at a Benefit counter, I think the other companies would be wise to follow in Benefit's footsteps and offer us Aussies online shopping at US prices! I think they could double their Aussie makeup sales if they did! 

I'm already planning my next Benefit shopping spree... 

No comments:

Post a Comment