Tuesday 10 May 2011

Wedding Makeup: Should you do your own?

I've been umm-ing and ahh-ing over whether I should attempt to do my own makeup for my upcoming wedding.

Can a hiring makeup artist guarantee that I look my best on my wedding day?
While I am in no way a professional makeup artist, and have often been in awe when I see one at work, I do have some features (e.g. my eyes) which have many-a-time thwarted makeup counter makeup artists by refusing to follow the rules of eye makeup application.

I have spent years practicing on my eyes (and the rest of my face) to discover just how to apply makeup on them, and instead of just one trial with the makeup artist, I can have unlimited trials with myself and test photography in all sorts of lighting (including flash!) to try-out my wedding look (Yes, yes…I have been bitten by the bridezilla bug...)

However, I certainly don’t have the skill or experience of a professional makeup artist, and perhaps I would do well not to add to the stress of a wedding day by attempting to do my own makeup!

After going back and forth a number of times, my conclusions are:

Consider doing your own makeup for your wedding/other special occasion if:
  • You are experienced at applying your makeup, and wear makeup often
  • You already have enough quality tools (brushes, etc) – or are willing to buy them (I would discourage buying an entirely new set of brushes though, it’s a better if you already have a set you know how to use. If you buy a brand new expensive set and realise you can't use them properly, you may have been better off spending that money on a good makeup artist instead...)
  • You already have a collection of makeup, and are familiar with different makeup techniques (or at least, what looks best on you)
  • You don’t want/can’t afford the cost of hiring a professional makeup artist (though again, this is debatable. Most of the time you will have to spend a bit of money on new makeup and practicing etc)
  • You don’t know any good makeup artists in your city/area and don’t have friends who can recommend one (a friend with similar looks/style! There’s no point getting a friend who likes a completely different style of makeup to recommend her makeup artist…)
  • You are willing to practice, practice, practice
  • You have a steady hand and steely nerves in time of stress (remember, one wrong line and you may have to start all over again while your guests are already waiting for your entrance!)
  • You are sure you won’t regret doing your makeup yourself in the years to come!
Consider hiring a professional makeup artist if:
  • You don’t usually wear makeup, or usually only wear minimal makeup (think a slick of lipgloss and mascara)
  • You don’t like playing with makeup and experimenting with different looks (this is essential as you will have to practice a lot, to make up for lack of experience!)
  • You have a minimal makeup collection (or very little makeup that would be wedding suitable) and don’t own any makeup tools
  • You know a makeup artist that has the same style as you have, or want, and is willing to listen to you, and you’ve seen examples of her work (which you love, of course)
  • And even if none of the above are true for you, if you simply don’t want the stress and responsibility of making sure you look perfect on the day – hire a professional (but HAVE A TRIAL FIRST! I’ll never forget (and not in a good way) my first professional makeup application where I went in without having a trial prior for my year 12 formal…)

The essence of Wedding makeup or any special occasion makeup is really:
  • You looking the best version of yourself (Classic, rather than theatrical makeup)
  • Your makeup lasting the whole day - without you having to worry about multiple touch-ups (there are better things to focus on that day!)
  • Looking good in person as well as in photos and videos (I mean, if you’re spending a fortune on the photography and videography…why skimp on yourself?
Whether you hire someone professional or go it youself, make sure you keep those aims in mind!
Meanwhile I’ll continue going back and forth about it…


Pictures by stock.xchng - I don't have my own wedding pics yet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment